Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Car only starts when jumped... alternator?

Hey all,

This problem started several months ago, but since my stang stays off the road in the winter, I hadn't worried much about it.

Anyway, the car sat for about 1 week, undriven. I went to start it, and it wouldn't even turn over. I thought, that's weird, but the battery must have drained.

I jumped it and it started right up. I let it run for a long time, but no matter what, the car would only start when jumped. The battery is fairly new, so I don't see that being the issue.

When I go to start it, there's a little bit of a "click" electrical noise, but it doesn't turn over at all. Also, last time I tried, the radio worked fun, and supplied ample power to my subwoofer and the rest of my aftermarket stereo system.... which leads me to believe it's not the battery.

It seems some stuff "works" and some stuff doesn't, but I have no clue where to start!

Now that spring is coming, I wanna get my car ready for the road! Please please please HELP!
    -Michelle

CarDomain

sounds like the alt... I would have suggested starter maybe but you said it starts when jumped...

UEI@BMC

Jerz...take your car to an Autozone or O'Reilleys or whatever car places you have there and have your alternator and battery tested. They can diagnose it for you for free
    Vortech V3 Si-Trim Intercooled HO Supercharged 4.6L 3V 479 RWHP 411 RWTQ
    Built by BMC Performance Tuned by MC Racing KCMO

Quote Originally Posted by Who View Post
    Jerz...take your car to an Autozone or O'Reilleys or whatever car places you have there and have your alternator and battery tested. They can diagnose it for you for free
    Do I have to remove the alternator or can i just drive the car there?
    -Michelle

CarDomain

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerz View Post
    Do I have to remove the alternator or can i just drive the car there?
    They can test it on-car Jerz.

Special Vehicle OstentatiousCDC/UEI/MA Dirty Dozen

Thanks to you all! I'll bring it by when I get it re-insured.
    Long time no see fred
    -Michelle

CarDomain

I know this is a little late, but better than never.

First I would suspect your aftermarket stereo is draining the battery. I can't tell you how many times I have disconnected that kind of stuff and fixed battery drains.

Second your altenator is not designed to charge a fully drained battery, it is designed to keep your vehicle supplied with power once the car is running and to top off the power that was used from the battery to start it. That is why in the old days it was common to get a car running and disconnect the battery to test if the altenator will keep the car running. DO NOT DO THIS ON YOUR CAR, with all of the electronis in modern cars a spike in voltage can fry sensetive electonics.

What you need to do is get a battery charger and charge the battery. Put it on a low amperage and leave it for a day, maybe longer if needed. You can't test a battery unless it has a full charge on it any ways, so if you do go to one of the parts stores, anything they do won't be accurate. If after charging the battery it still won't start the car you probably just need to replace it and start your search from scratch with a new battery.

If you do take your car off the road for much more than 2-3 weeks at a time consider a battery tender to keep the battery topped off when not in use. Even the stock electronics, radio, ecu, abs module, alarm etc. draw some power with the car shut off.

Hope this is helpful.
    87' LX Hatch, currently in a state of total disrepair!!

03' Toyota Matrix XRS, Black Sand Pearl
    Techifit stainless steel braided brake lines and ATE brake fluid
    Carbo Tech brake pads (track)
    Stock/Brembo rotors
    SPA oil pressure/oil temp. dual dispaly digital gauge
    Greddy sandwich adaptor for gauge

My Car Domain site. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3103659

Common problem with the S197 cars also, get a deltran batt tender, problem solved.

ive had the same problem.So i left the alarm system off and turned the radio power off it and unless the battery was that low the car fired right up...
    The louder the better!!!!
    MIDWEST STANGS MEMBER

Im going to say its the battery in this case, my girlfriends mustang has a similar issue and someone had installed her stereo system incorrectly.
    Its slow, but at least its paid for :lol:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast