Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Steel vs. Aluminum Driveshaft has anybody seen any dyno results for this ?

I was wondering if anyone has seen or done a before and after dyno testing on the stock steel driveshaft vs. FRPP aluminum driveshaft or even the carbon fiber driveshaft ?

In theory less rotating mass should free up HP, but can it be measured on the dyno ? I have never seen this done in any car magazine and it doesn't make any sense as to why not. It such a common mod, but I have never seen any tangible results.

I had heard that you can gain a tenth at the track from swapping the steel for the aluminum driveshaft. Has anybody experienced this for real ?

I am considering purchasing a frpp aluminum driveshaft, but I am going to be sure that the results can be appreciably measured on a dyno or at the track.

If it is printed in a advertisement page in a car magazine that it adds HP, blah , blah....Then I am going to go out of my way not to buy it, because aftermarket manufacturers grossly exaggerate the performance gains of their products to the point of absurdity.
    Last edited by Tim; 03-13-2005 at 06:56 AM.

IF I HAD THE MONEY, I WOULD FOR SURE GET AN ALUMINUM DRIVE SHAFT. YOU WILL GAIN A FEW HP AND LOSES 6 POUNDS OF WEIGHT FROM STEEL.

I HAVENT SEEN ANY RESULTS, BUT I WOULD BE WILLING TO TRY IT. JUST NEED THE CASH. WITH THE LESS WEIGHT, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET OFF THE LINE QUICKER.

JUST TRY IT.
    BARTMAN
    CAPITAL LETTERS ARE ALWAYS ON. IM NOT YELLING. IT MAKES IT EASIER TO READ.
    LIFETIME PLATINUM MEMBER

http://www.myspace.com/103828329

It may not show up on the dyno sheet but I'm sure you might feel the difference and see it on a time slip. I have heard that only N/A cars should run the FRPP aluminum driveshaft. If you run a S/C or turbo, you should look at an aluminum driveshaft from Dynotech. I know that is what is recommended for the Roush S/C cars. And this car from a source at Roush.

I bought my FRPP aluminum driveshaft purely for the fact that:

1) I 'll have a weight reduction of 6.5 lbs

2) I switched to 4.10's and heard that vibration could be a problem if I stayed with the stock steel one

3) I got it cheap ($139 about 10 months ago)

4) It will never rust

Last edited by BlackMach; 04-09-2005 at 10:18 AM.
    2004 Black Mach 1, Auto/IUP
    2/18/04

C&L Cold-Air & Trueflow Kit, (Stock 80mm MAF), Accufab Twin 60mm Throttle Body, MRT S.S. Catted H-Pipe, H&R Super Sport Springs, Tokico Illumina Struts/Shocks, Energy Suspension Spring Isolators, Magnaflow S.S. Cat Back, S.S. Rolled Tips, PHP Intake Spacer, Steeda Alum Upper & Adj. Lower RCAs, C.C. Plates, Bumpsteer Kit, Chrome Ultra-Lite II 17" x 9" Wheels, SCT Custom Tune, FRPP 4.10 Gears, Alum Girdle, Alum D.S., Alum Trans Pan, Meziere Electric Water Pump, UPR Short Belt Kit, NGK Iridium TR6IX Plugs (0.50), Odyssey PC925LMJT Battery, Nitto P275/40ZR17 555 NT ZR Tires, Eibach Front & Rear Sway Bars

My Mach 1 Web Site

I saw it in mm&ff mag some years back you would gane a couple of horses. I will look for the article

Quote Originally Posted by SteedaQ
    I saw it in mm&ff mag some years back you would gane a couple of horses. I will look for the article
    That would be cool...I'd like to see that..

found it ...it was in 5.0 Mustangs and Superford January of 2002....oops...lol
    Page 61 "drivetrain diet"...stock driveshaft wieghs 22lbs they used a carbonfiber driveshaft which cam in at 12lbs. they did this on a 2001 mustang..and as I read on they do not show a before and after h/p difference of just they driveshafts. They give a total of h/p gains with a light wieght Spec 3 clutch kit, Spec aluminum flywheel, and a Precision Shaft Technologies carbonfiber driveshaft. Also with synthetic fluid.
    Before the change was 217 for h/p and 261 for torque
    After the change was 224 for h/p and 271 for torque
    Acorrding to 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by SteedaQ
    found it ...it was in 5.0 Mustangs and Superford January of 2002....oops...lol
    Page 61 "drivetrain diet"...stock driveshaft wieghs 22lbs they used a carbonfiber driveshaft which cam in at 12lbs. they did this on a 2001 mustang..and as I read on they do not show a before and after h/p difference of just they driveshafts. They give a total of h/p gains with a light wieght Spec 3 clutch kit, Spec aluminum flywheel, and a Precision Shaft Technologies carbonfiber driveshaft. Also with synthetic fluid.
    Before the change was 217 for h/p and 261 for torque
    After the change was 224 for h/p and 271 for torque
    Acorrding to 5.0
    p

I appreciate the info...They made a lot of big changes and gained only 7 hp....aluminum flywheel, clutch, and carbon fiber driveshaft.

So, I guess an aluminum driveshaft alone probably gains 1 HP if even that.

May not be worth the time, money, and effort. Because a 6.5 Lbs. weight loss only calculates to .100th/sec improvement at the track.....

i have one, but i dident get it dynoed befor and after, but its lighter, and stronger than the stock steel one
    FULLY BUILT 97 TURBO COBRA,
    2011 gt, 11.95 at 116 mph, on factory rubber!!

You won't really gain any HP from the driveshaft. It is like getting lighter valvetrain components. It is a lighter rotating mass. You will feel the big difference in acceleration. Your 60ft. times will benefit as well as the entire ET.
    622 rwhp, 576 rwtq.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast