Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Running rich/lean??

Hey guys, can somebody explain the difference between running rich and running lean? Ive read this quite a bit on this site and was wondering what they meant. Thanks

I believe it's when the air/fuel ratio is not dead on, rich means too much fuel and lean means not enough fuel. I think.

I'm a sleep deprived moron.
    Last edited by Brandon; 03-01-2007 at 01:25 PM.

SVTSkip

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Lean describes the amount of oil the engine is being lubricated with. To a point this will make the engine run faster with better performance, but once too lean the engine will overheat, and wear out prematurely due to too little lubrication.

Rich is the opposite of lean, it means more oil is entering the engine. If the engine is too rich, it will run poorly. The engine will run very slow and seem to have no power and possibly cut out from being flooded with fuel. Although, being too rich is better than being too lean, because being too rich just means the engine is getting too much oil which is perfectly fine, although performance may not be as good as if the engine were lean.

lean= fast but dangerous to engine
    rich = less performance, but a safer way to run

Say wha ??? LOL Brandon, but the common referral to rich/lean has nothing to do with oil/lubrication ( like it would in a 2 cycle application ), but yet to the Air/Fuel ratio as stated by "Mofugr". And yes Warren, you're absolutely correct in that too much fuel in the mixture is referred to as "Rich", and too little is referred to as "Lean"... Usually on a Naturally aspirated combination the typical A/F ratio would be set at 12.2-12.5/1 on a tuned combination for the street running Premium, and 11.2/1 for a Supercharged combination for the street again on Premium fuel. Hope this helps some, if you need more detail, let me know...:biggrinne

Dang Skip, that's impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by SVTSkip View Post
    Say wha ??? LOL Brandon, but the common referral to rich/lean has nothing to do with oil/lubrication ( like it would in a 2 cycle application ), but yet to the Air/Fuel ratio as stated by "Mofugr". And yes Warren, you're absolutely correct in that too much fuel in the mixture is referred to as "Rich", and too little is referred to as "Lean"... Usually on a Naturally aspirated combination the typical A/F ratio would be set at 12.2-12.5/1 on a tuned combination for the street running Premium, and 11.2/1 for a Supercharged combination for the street again on Premium fuel. Hope this helps some, if you need more detail, let me know...:biggrinne
    lol, been working on a kx250 for the last 3 days.Had a moment.

SVTSkip

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    lol, been working on a kx250 for the last 3 days.Had a moment.
    I hear ya Bro ! As soon as I saw it, I knew that #1 I had to give a little poke your way since you're certainly not prone to stuff like that often, and #2 That something had been going on in the 2 cycle vs. 4 cycle world for ya !!! it was fun though !!!

SVTSkip

Quote Originally Posted by mofugr View Post
    Dang Skip, that's impressive!
    Thanks Warren ! I really only know enough to get myself into trouble ! Although I have taken a number of "Fordstar" training courses during my tenure as a Ford mech including a few on air/fuel delivery, I wont really feel like I have a strong grasp on things until after I get done learning how to do custom tuning and hopefully become an SCT trained rep. I'd love to go further, but cant let the proverbial cat out of the bag since these are long term plans... Should be fun though, so stay tuned ( pun intended !!! ) !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SVTSkip View Post
    I hear ya Bro ! As soon as I saw it, I knew that #1 I had to give a little poke your way since you're certainly not prone to stuff like that often, and #2 That something had been going on in the 2 cycle vs. 4 cycle world for ya !!! it was fun though !!!

lol, I deserved to be called on it. I am going to edit it so as not to confuse anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mofugr View Post
    I believe it's when the air/fuel ratio is not dead on, rich means too much fuel and lean means not enough fuel. I think.

Could not be more correct

UEI@BMC OAKLEY @ BMC My Myspace
    Shadow... gone but NEVER forgotten...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast